How to Handle Customer Complaints The L.E.A.R.N. Technique
How to Handle Customer Complaints
The L.E.A.R.N. technique
Responding to customers is an art.
Especially if you decide that a complaint is an opportunity to LEARN.
A dissatisfied customer wants to be heard.
Applying the LEARN principle makes sure he is.
- LISTEN. Listen carefully to your customer. Don't interrupt or tell the customer to calm down, this will only ignite the anger.
- EMPATHIZE. Feel the pain of the customer, and tell him/her that you can understand how they feel.
- APOLOGIZE. Apologize to the customer, even if you feel that you have no part in the problem.
- REACT. Decide what you will do to resolve the problem, and tell this to the customer.
- NOW! Do not delay. Take immediate action!
WILLIAM H. DAVIDOW